Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Long and Short of it All




Dachshunds
There's no other dog like a dachshund,
Walking so close to the ground,
They're stubborn and sly as a fox and
The happiest pet to be found.

Most kinds of dogs seem to either
Have shapes or proportions all wrong;
They're only one way or the other,
But dachshunds are both short and long.

Dachsie, meine dachsie,
The best canine under the sun,
Call you "wiener" or "sausage" or "hotdog,"
We know that you're number one.

It's true, I experienced my very first Dachshund Spring Fiesta in Washington Square Park last month. I've never in my life seen so many dachshunds in one place-talk about hilarious! Hundreds of dachs were wondering around the park in sweaters, t-shirts, hats, costumes, and booties. Even the proud parents of the dogs were dressed accordingly for the event.

My top 5 favorite things about the fiesta:
  1. When, out of nowhere, and in the middle of it all, I saw the pug who didn't get the memo.
  2. Learning about wire-haired dachshunds. They're cute in an ugly sort of way.
  3. Taking photos of the dogs together...it was a gorgeous day, too!
  4. Finding the ONE dachshund that ALMOST reminded me of Chipper.
  5. Watching an elderly woman interact with the dogs...sweet moment indeed. It was as if she'd attended the event for years.












No comments:

Post a Comment