Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Matisse of Subway-Ad Mash-Ups


To my despair, I just read that the "Poster Boy" sabotaged the MoMA advertising campaign in the Brooklyn Atlantic-Pacific subway station. The Poster Boy built his reputation for turning subway ads into political art. According to NY Mag, he's been called the "Matisse of subway-ad mash-ups." Conceived on the spot, the 25 year old has manipulated around 200 underground posters over his career in vandalism. While I'm intrigued by his audacity to make statements, I am appalled by the fact that he made Andy Warhol's Marilyn look as though she had a nose job. Andy Warhol did say, "Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes." I guess th Poster Boy got his 15 minutes of fame (or more)!


Marilyn with a nose job



Cut out a race car made to look as though it's diving into Monet's Water Lilies








Below: more works by the Poster Boy






1 comment: